Resident Waterfowl Stamps
Waterfowl stamps were required of all South Dakota resident hunters in 1949 and 1950. Their purpose was to generate revenue to purchase and develop additional waterfowl habitat in South Dakota at a critical time in the history of waterfowl conservation and restoration in the U.S. The amount of suitable habitat is directly related to waterfowl production in South Dakota. After WWII ended, the return of American servicemen led to an increase in hunting across the country. For some regions, the increase in hunting pressure caused waterfowl populations to decrease dramatically. During this time. South Dakota produced approximately 2,000,000 ducks annually while South Dakota hunters hunters killed approximately 550,000. This large net production of ducks fed into the Central and Mississippi flyways, helping to stabilize waterfowl populations and earning South Dakota the nickname "The Duck Factory". After 1950, the crisis ended and the stamps were discontinued.
The waterfowl stamps were printed by the Columbian Bank Note Company on safety paper and issued in sheets of 50 (5x10). Normally the safety paper reads vertically. The sheets were perforated 12 1/2 between the stamps and straight edged on all four sides. Stamps from both years had shiny gum. If the stamps are soaked for too long when removing them from a license, the safety paper fades or disappears. Values for unsigned and signed stamps are for examples where the safety paper remains clearly legible. Washed-out copies sell for considerably less.
|1.||F-SD1||1949||$1.00||black on green safety paper|
|1a.||F-SD2||on horizontal safety paper|
|2.||F-SD1||1950||$1.00||black on light brown safety paper|
|2a.||F-SD2||on horizontal safety paper|
|2p.||proof, imperforate and lacking serial number||–|